Priority Deadline (PhD applicants)
We strongly encourage applicants to submit their applications by this deadline for priority review.
Final Deadline (All applicants)
Applicants who apply by the final deadline will still have their files formally reviewed by the admissions committee for full consideration.
|Program||Deadline for Autumn 2021||Response|
All other applicants:
How Do I Apply?
You can begin your application for the graduate degree programs online through the UW Graduate School website. The online application lets you know what materials you need to submit, and allows you to save your information before submitting.
Required Application Materials
- Upload Unofficial Transcript(s)
- Upload Statement of Purpose
- Upload Resume or CV
- Self-report GRE General Scores and request ETS send official scores using code 4854 (Note: this requirement has been waived in response to the COVID-19 pandemic- no GRE General or Subject Scores are required as part of the application process. Applicants are welcome to report scores if they wish.)
- Designate Recommendations (3)
- Submit Assistantship and Fellowship Application
- Pay Fee and Submit Application
For PhD applicants only:
Self-report GRE Subject scores (optional, see note above) and request ETS send official scores using code 4854
For applicants whose native language is not English:
We strongly recommend that you review the policy and score requirements here. Self-report English Language Proficiency Scores and request ETS send official scores using code 4854. (IELTS scores are not accepted.)
All application materials, including letters of recommendation, are due by posted deadlines. You may need to remind your letter writers of the deadline. No hard-copy application materials should be mailed to the department!
Graduate Non-matriculated Students
Graduate Non-matriculated (GNM) status provides access to graduate courses for those who are not currently seeking a graduate degree, but who may later want to apply these credits (up to 12) toward one of our graduate degree programs. A bachelor’s degree and 3.0 GPA in your last 90 quarter (60 semester) hours are required to apply for GNM status. More information on this status is available through the Graduate School page on GNM applications. GNM status is only available for MS programs, not the PhD program.